A simple and pantry friendly vegetarian or vegan puttanesca that’s easy to pull together and in minimal time. Garlic, pepper flakes and capers infuse their pungent flavors in a rich tomato sauce while Kalamata olives offer texture and more briny goodness. This spaghetti alla puttanesca is vegetarian or vegan and easily gluten free.
This was when I was eating fish, and so I whipped up a puttanesca recipe that included anchovies. It was flavorful and absolutely memorable. So simple and easy, it became a recipe I made on regular rotation.
素食and Vegan Puttanesca
To keep this recipe vegetarian and vegan however, I’ve omitted the anchovies that are included in some traditional recipes and opt for vegan Worchestshire sauce to keep that umami flavor apparent. I gleaned this idea from a recipe and olive tasting class withDivina, maker of fine olives and antipasti, some years ago. I’ve been making it this way ever since.
How to Make Spaghetti Puttanesca
The key ingredients in spaghetti puttanesca include olive oil, garlic, capers, chili or red pepper flakes, olives and tomatoes. I opt for pitted Kalamata olives for ease and canned diced or crushed Muir Glen tomatoes, but San Marzano are quite nice too. Here’s a summary of how to make this simple pasta puttanesca sauce recipe (see full recipe in recipe card below):
- 第一的, saute garlic and chili flakes in olive oil for just under 30 seconds, then add the capers and olives. Saute for just a few minutes.
- Second, pour in the tomatoes, and drizzle in the vegan Worcestershire sauce and olive brine. Simmer.
- 下一个, while the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta.
- Last,toss sauce and pasta together.
Since the flavors improve with a little rest in the fridge, leftovers are quite nice, if there are any!
- For a vegetarian and vegan pasta puttanesca sauce be sure to use a vegan Worcestershire sauce. I like安妮or巫师.
- I love a hearty sprinkle of Parmesan* over this sauce.如果乳制品免费或素食主义者，请寻找素食帕尔马干酪或DIY素食帕尔马干酪。
- 不含麸质?是的,请!使用gluten free vegan Worchestshire and gluten free pasta. My favorite gluten free brown rice pasta is from Jovial.
- 3TbsOlive Oil
- 4Plump Cloves of Garlicsmashed and chopped small, I like about 2 Tbs
- 1/2tsp辣椒片or more to taste
- 2TbsCapersnon pareil, drained
- 1C（125g）Kalamata Olivespitted and halved, 1 Tbs brine reserved
- 128 oz (793g)罐头或切丁的西红柿I like Muir Glen or San Marzano
- 10盎司（285g）意大利面of Choice如果需要，不含麸质，我喜欢Jovial
- Parsley or Basilfor sprinkling
- Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
Meanwhile, in a large3.5 Quart Seute Panwith high sides, add the olive oil, garlic and chili flakes over medium heat. Sizzle and saute until garlic releases its fragrance and is softened but not browned, about 1-2 minutes. It can burn easily so adjust the heat down as needed.
To the olive mixture, pour in the tomatoes, reserved olive brine and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer on medium to medium low heat for about 15-20 minutes adding a few tablespoons of pasta water to loosen the sauce, if desired. It will thicken as it cooks.
While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta according to package directions or until al dente. Drain the pasta while reserving a small cup of pasta water.
Add the drained pasta to the sauce. Stir to coat the pasta. Add a few generous grinds of fresh ground pepper and taste for salt (I add a heavy pinch in this recipe). Serve with more fresh ground black pepper, fresh parsley or basil and parmesan if using.